Cannot log in to a GNOME desktop

Emeric Maschino emeric.maschino at jouy.inra.fr
Thu May 4 09:03:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

What can prevent a user to log in a GNOME session? When entering my
username and password at the GDM log in screen, I immediately get a
dialog box telling me that the X session lasts less than 10 sec and that
some help can be provided by the ~/.xsession_error. Well, this file
doesn't even exist. I've tried the "Last session" and "Default GNOME
session" options in the GDM log in screen without a success. Same
problem for root. This is on an Itanium workstation (ia64) with a fresh
install of Fedora Core Rawhide on May 2nd, updated with the latest
packages. I don't know if this problem also appears on other
architectures. Roughly a month ago (before my filesystem problem), I
didn't have this problem. But a lot of things have changed since...

Cheers,

	Émeric