Proposal for adding kernel <-> xen dependency

Chris Ball cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk
Thu May 4 14:09:17 UTC 2006

>> On Thu, 04 May 2006 12:36:20 +0200, Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl> said:

   > Hi, Today I saw that installing "xen" does not automatically pull
   > in kernel-xen0.  Shouldn't that ideally be the case?

Orthogonal to the dependency issue, we don't have kernel-xen0 packages
in Rawhide; the GIT tree Xen rebases to (-stable) and the GIT tree the
Rawhide kernel rebases to (-git) are two moving targets that aren't
going to apply against each other cleanly.  So, we're left without a
Xen kernel until we get close enough to a release for someone to care
enough to make the patch apply by hand.

This seems to be one of those annoying problems that can't be solved
even when you have an obscenely powerful SCM available.  :)  We could
try to have someone volunteer to manually get the Xen patch applying
against davej's tree each day, but even that sounds implausible due
to the tight deadlines we're already pushing with the build system.

I haven't seen any list discussion about this, so maybe this is a
good time for some -- does anyone have plans for getting Xen kernels
into Rawhide?

Thanks,

--
Chris Ball   <cjb at mrao.cam.ac.uk>    <http://blog.printf.net/>