License question

Sat May 6 00:35:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 19:03 -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 01:59:29PM +0200, Erwin Rol wrote:
> > A while back i said i was working on a Open-Xchange version that could
> > work with GCJ, so that in the end it could be included in Fedora
> > (extras). Some parts of Open-Xchange , the HTML, pictures, docu, are
> > under a CC license. The "Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5” to be
> > exact ( http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/legalcode )
> > Now some Debian people have a problem with this license as described
> > here; http://people.debian.org/~evan/ccsummary.html
> > The question is does Fedora accept works that are (or partly are) under
> > the mentioned CC license?
>
> Wasn't this a change in the latest version?  If so, I suggest forking
> from the previous version, patching the code up to the latest version,
> and continuing from there...

The older versions had the following questionable META-tags in all HTML
files;

rights reserved.">

IANAL so I can not judge if those "tags" would overrule the general
COPYING file that mentioned the GPL, or if the COPYING (and also the
license information of the website, which is now updated btw) would
overrule those tags.

Of course they could just have removed those tags and have the GPL "take
over" via the COPYING file. But they didn't and until now they didn't
really give an explanation why they didn't, the answer to that question
was;

-- begin quote --

the answers why we have chosen the Creative Common license are:

 - Open-Xchange includes images, html files, stylesheets and
   other content

 - Open-Xchange is using this license because we will face a
   huge change and it could be that the frontend can be used
   without the backend

 - The community ask for this (i do not mean the community you
   see here on the list - but you maybe can imagine that there
   are other communities behind Open-Xchange - not visible on the
   very first view)

Just for your information, there were some other motivations i
will not list today.

-- end quote --

- Erwin