RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Sun May 21 14:23:07 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 01:16 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On the other hand, there are many applications included both
> in Fedora Core, and in Fedora Extras, which do rely on the
> core fonts system still, and are likely to rely on it for the
> forseeable future.

Great to hear we're moving in this direction.

I guess the obvious question is "what will break?". Once we
have a clear idea what really depends on xfs (some packages,
like wine, _can_ work with xfs if it's the only available
option, or without), we can devise a plan of making xfs
optional (moved to Extra along with all apps that depend
on it?).

Regardless, I'm sure such a list would help fix some apps.
OSS community is rather good I find at this sort of focused
cleanup efforts.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.