Back to 6 month schedule?

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Tue May 23 16:53:03 UTC 2006

tir, 23 05 2006 kl. 11:13 -0400, skrev Jesse Keating:
> On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 13:24 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > E.g. always
> > release one week after each Gnome-Release
>
> This is extremely distasteful from a rel-eng and QA perspective.  We
> have to have our bits done about a week before we can release to the
> world, so you're asking us to take what Gnome Upstream releases and in
> the same day add them to the distro, spin a release, and send it out to
> the world.  That has 'eat my babies' written all over it.  Case in point
> FC5 release.  We had to scramble to get the latest gnome released
> packages in, and many of them did not go in just because 'too many
> changes to be comfortable with this'.  Ideally we'd be reaching test2
> right around the time Gnome makes their release.  That lines up with a
> feature freeze and gets those fresh bits out into the hands of the
> testers to give us a list of stuff to fix for Test3 and the resulting
> release.

Aren't you disregarding the fact that GNOME also has a release cycle
that enforces a strict bugfix only period, meaning the risk we face
having shipped every test release in Development of the famous baby
eating syndrome is incredibly low.

But it would still be nice to have plenty of time between the GNOME and
FC releases - It would give us the option to ship the follow up GNOME
2.x.1/2 release which is normally better translated and has more bugs
fixed.

- David