RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue May 23 22:46:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 01:16 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> In particular, xfs and core fonts does not fit well into the
> One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) effort, or other Fedora derived
> embedded distributions.  In these embedded systems, or
> reduced computing environments if you will, every megabyte
> of disk space and memory counts.  Shedding megs of stuff out
> of the default OS installation is sure to reduce both the
> memory footprint and disk footprint of the OS installation,
> which is a net gain for these systems, and also for a lot
> of the userbase out there that do not use any applications
> which rely on core fonts.

Just to be perfectly clear: All we are asking right now from OLPC is to
cut a few Requires here and there such that our RPM transaction (that
include xorg-x11-server-Xorg) doesn't pull in xorg-x11-xfs. This will
not break new installs nor upgrades of Fedora - for new installs, just
make sure that the comps.xml files include xorg-x11-xfs in addition to
xorg-x11-server-Xorg.

I second that it would be nice to get rid of xfs entirely but we're not
really asking that much right now.

    David