NetworkManager system-wide use

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri May 26 21:37:00 UTC 2006

On 5/26/06, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> What if the user receives a Word document in email? Are we going to
> demand the root password and install OpenOffice? No, we must force
> OpenOffice to be installed at all times instead.

I think the battlelines over this issue change a bit since we are
talking about something which affects network accessiblity...
something 'implicitly' needed for common package management tasks in
the distribution. We aren't talking about a file format support, but
access to the network which will facility the ability to install
additional software. I think the judgement to require the small extra
dependancy at the packaging level is justified considering its
connectivity impact.

-jef