What's up with elfutils?

John Reiser jreiser at BitWagon.com
Sun May 28 18:46:45 UTC 2006

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 09:35 -0700, John Reiser wrote:
>
>>Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>
>>>If you think there is any issues that needs to be discussed as part of
>>>Fedora development feel free to do so especially if you are willing to
>>>contribute towards resolving any such problems.
>>
>>Remove elfutils from Fedora Core.
>

> So, you're saying that anything which isn't controlled by Fedora
> shouldn't be shipped in Fedora Core?
>
> I guess we might as well stop trying to ship anything then as we don't
> have direct control over *most* of what is shipped.

Most of those projects have maintainers who respond in a somewhat timely
fashion, and/or a public source tree (CVS, svn, etc.), and/or other
forms of not-just-Red Hat participation.  Certainly most Fedora projects
have "upstream."  That's fine.  What is not fine is a project that just
sits there like a bump on a log despite open Bugzilla issues and
demonstrated interest from "downstream" Fedora.

> Note that elfutils is directly required by a number of packages within
> Fedora Core and thus can't just be removed

According to "rpm -qR elfutils" they are [excluding self references]:
  libc.so.6
  libdl.so.2
  /sbin/ldconfig
which are all part of glibc.  So elfutils can be flushed just by
merging it into glibc.  Everybody else uses binutils.  Not many
developers have ever used the "eu-" versions of nm, strip, size,
readelf, addr2line.