helix, file selectors, and all that

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Mon May 29 04:53:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-28 at 23:51 -0400, Paul A Houle wrote:
>      Helix on FC isn't like that -- shift+click, ctrl+click doesn't do
> anything different from 'click',  so I have to play a whole album at
> a time.  I can't say I know what GUI toolkit that Helix is using to
> generate it's file selector...  I think it's gnome,  but it's not
> like any documentation exists for this stuff...  But it's little
> things like this that make the difference between a GUI that's
> useful,  and a GUI that's not.

The GTK+ file selector supports multiple selection (try gedit, say); the
application is, however, responsible for turning that on ...
it doesn't make sense in all cases.

You might want to file an upstream bug report against helix.

I personally find rhythmbox a whole lot nicer for playing local music,
but tastes vary.

						Owen