RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue May 30 00:01:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 19:53 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> I can't guess how many users use nedit, but emacs
> and mplayer have a massive userbase.

And thus have plenty of motivation, and available manpower with which to
port them over to using Xft.

GVIM and Xine have been using GTK2/Xft for some time now. (Warning:
Contains flamebait.)

Fiddling around with compatibility layers, or trying to get the X server
itself to handle fonts rather than xfs, is a waste of effort better put
towards simply porting apps over to using Xft.

Either we put our foot down, and completely rip out core fonts now, or
we leave it as is and have this argument yet again during FC7 devel...