RFC: Making the xfs font server optional in Fedora Core and its derivatives.

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Tue May 30 20:27:46 UTC 2006

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 19:53 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
>> I can't guess how many users use nedit, but emacs
>> and mplayer have a massive userbase.
>
> And thus have plenty of motivation, and available manpower with which to
> port them over to using Xft.
>
> GVIM and Xine have been using GTK2/Xft for some time now. (Warning:
> Contains flamebait.)
>
> Fiddling around with compatibility layers, or trying to get the X server
> itself to handle fonts rather than xfs, is a waste of effort better put
> towards simply porting apps over to using Xft.
>
> Either we put our foot down, and completely rip out core fonts now, or
> we leave it as is and have this argument yet again during FC7 devel...

We can not delete core font support.  Full stop.

Anyway it turns out this is a lot of noise over nothing, it's not
looking too difficult to fontconfigify libXfont, which will solve the
problem for xfs and all the X servers all at once.  So I'm just going to
fix the real bug now, and you're all going to stop bikeshedding, k?

- ajax