vncserver in future dists

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Nov 1 15:55:54 UTC 2006

Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 10:25 -0500, Adam Jackson wrote:
>> The Xorg server is perfectly capable of running headless, just configure
>> it to use the dummy driver.
>
> I think the point is that VNC users are used to having a single 'Xvnc'
> binary they can run, which is a bit like Xvfb but you can connect a VNC
> viewer to it.
>
> As far as I can tell, this isn't trivial with x11vnc (but maybe I'm
> reading the FAQ incorrectly).

Nothing a small shell script couldn't fix though.  Something like:

# cat > /usr/bin/Xvnc <<EOF
#!/bin/sh
DISPLAY="$1"
shift
/usr/bin/Xorg "$1" -config /etc/X11/xvnc.conf -ac -nolisten tcp "$@" &
/usr/bin/x11vnc -display "$1" &
EOF

With the xvnc.conf file appropriately configured to use void and dummy
drivers, and maybe some additional magic for X authority file generation
and error checking.  I mean, yeah, X connection authentication is gross,
but it's not some deep unsolveable voodoo.

- ajax