package updater optimization proposal

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Wed Nov 1 20:30:39 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Jaroslaw Gorny wrote:
>> Dnia środa, 1 listopada 2006 20:21, Gianluca Cecchi napisał:
>> (...)
>>> In fc6 it seems Ctrl+C is trapped, so it seems better in this way.
>>> In graphical package updater instead, you have no way to say to it for
>>> example "hey, I got a slooooow mirror; can you change it, please? Also
>>> randomly, I don't want to choose a specific one..."
>>
>> There's a 'fastestmirror' plugin (available on yum homepage) which
>> determines mirrors speeds automatically.
>
> If you are going this route, yum install yum-utils (Fedora Extras).
>
> Rahul

the yum-utils package dont contain the plugins anymore, the plugins is
split in separate packages:

yum-allowdowngrade.noarch          1.0.1-1.fc6            extras
yum-changelog.noarch                     1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-downloadonly.noarch              1.0.1-1.fc6            extras
yum-fastestmirror.noarch                 1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-fedorakmod.noarch                  1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-kernel-module.noarch              1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-priorities.noarch                       1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-protectbase.noarch                    1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-skip-broken.noarch                   1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-tsflags.noarch                            1.0.1-1.fc6
extras
yum-versionlock.noarch                   1.0.1-1.fc6
extras

Just use : (as root)
yum install yum-fastestmirror
To install the fastestmirror plugin.