Proposal - replace beagle with tracker

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Fri Nov 10 13:28:22 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 08:23 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > Neal Becker wrote:
> >> I don't know much about this subject, but I saw this thread on ubuntu.
> >> I, as many others, have seen problems with beagle.
> >>
> >> BTW, this ubuntu whiteboard is also very interesting.
> >> https://features.launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+spec/tracker-integration
> >> https://launchpad.net/products/tracker
> >
> > Well Tracker is now in Fedora Extras. So end users can use both.
> >

> Is that maybe in devel only?  I don't see any tracker in FC6 extras:
> smart search tracker
>
> adplug - A software library for AdLib (OPL2) emulation
> dumb - IT, XM, S3M and MOD player library
> gnotime - Tracks and reports time spent
> ktorrent - A BitTorrent program for KDE
> rt3 - Request tracker 3
> soundtracker - Sound module composer/player
> svnmailer - Tool to post subversion repository commit information
> tcpick - A tcp stream sniffer, tracker and capturer
> trac - Enhanced wiki and issue tracking system

there's one small problem with tracker, actually.

mikmod - in core obsoletes 'tracker'.

this is obviously an old obsolete but it does prevent you from
installing tracker on fc6 machines.

run this:
yum --exclude=mikmod install tracker

 and it will install, however, it will be removed on the next yum update
run w/mikmod.

maybe a bug against mikmod to clip that old obsolete?

-sv