wireles

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 08:41:15 UTC 2006

On 11/11/06, Frank S. <franklinux392 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to get a wireless wifi PC card for my laptop and a pci wifi card for
> my desktop, I do NOT want to use Ndiswrap or anything similar to that I
> would to get one that works out of the box, PLEASE could you recommend me
> one

"Wireless" and "OOTB" does not go very well together: at the very
least, you need to install some firmware from livna (like for centrino
based laptops), but you often end up installing also a kernel module.

For my desktop PC I have an atheros based card which works quite well,
apart some minor quirks, in WPA mode with the livna madwifi driver.

I also used to work with a US Robotics PCMCIA wifi card, based on a TI
chipset working with the acx100 driver, but it is in a drawer for
quite some time now, so I can not comment on its current state of
support.