I think, rsh is quite obsolete

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Mon Nov 13 14:41:22 UTC 2006

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 11/9/06, Karel Zak <kzak at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>   - around us are people who use non-Linux systems and rsh is very
>>     important for them
>>

>>  Maybe we're already somewhere on the way between classic UNIX and
>>  Windows, but I think it's still to early to forget classic UNIX rule:
>>
>>      The right tool for the job.
>

> Yes assuredly... there are situations to use things like rsh and even
> telnet-server.
> But the unanswered question here is.. can those situations be served
> by moving this functionality into Extras and out of Core?  I believe
> that they can.

Sometime in the future -- yes. But not now.

A lot of people still buy Fedora on CDs (especially in third-world
countries), and even have no on-line Internet to download something
more. Removing of these "well-known" utilities (rsh and friends) will
produce some kind of "culture shock" (the same as when mp3&friends was
removed).

And, actually, all such stuff takes just several megabytes of code. I am
sure it even less than the total size of "gnome-games" included into
Core... (You guess, I'm a "production envrionment" man :) )

> I also believe that continuing to narrow the focus of
> Core and to keep Core technology-forward looking is important.

It sounds like you want to *cause* people to switch to new technologies.
It is similar to a unfair competition... ;)
Seriously, the time to move this stuff to Extras is when the
enterprise-level distros (RHEL etc.) will refuse it. That will mean that
the market, the production environments and the real customers do not
need such programs any more.

> -jef"I use rsh..but I don't need it in Core"spaleta

But I need it in Core.

~buc