Make kde 1st class in fedora

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Nov 18 17:02:22 UTC 2006

lør, 18 11 2006 kl. 16:38 +0000, skrev Richard Hughes:
> On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 16:17 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Arthur Pemberton <pemboa <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > > If you don't believe the quoted statement install Windows......you can
> > > install several other browsers, text editors, media players
> > > etc.....but if the link to the 'default' browser says Internet (or in
> > > the case of gaim, 'Instant Messenger') then a large percentage of
> > > users will _not_ benifit from having a choice.
> >
> > I must say I hate that too. This stuff belongs into the GenericName field, not
> > the Name field. Of course, this means GNOME would have to be fixed to display
> > both Name and GenericName as KDE has done for years. (And KDE allows you to
> > configure it, so if you want just the name or just the GenericName, you can
> > have that.)
>
> This also bothers me greatly. If GNOME was fixed to use both names (or
> set to use the GenericName for RHEL and Name for Fedora) should we start
> using "Firefox" rather than "Web browser"?

I'd strongly object to using Name over GenericName just because we are
Fedora. It has a significant discoverablity advantage for users to use
GenericName which we would be throwing out.

Users who want to change their application setup should also have the
option to change the naming scheme, maybe in a TweakUI type thing or as
part of the menu configuration/editing.

. David Nielsen