FC6: some impressions

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Wed Nov 22 15:29:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, November 22, 2006 10:05 am, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
> Check out the last discussion we had on the subject.
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-April/msg00197.html

I know, I was part of that discussion :)

> Quick summary: People expect Evolution to be shipped with Fedora/RHEL.
> The fact that it doesn't work is completely irrelevant.

Well yes, people expect it to be there because it's hard to switch
email clients. It's certainly not a trivial undertaking, and it would
be a major problem in any conceivable corporate environment.
I'd go as far as to say it's simply a showstopper for desktop OS.

Now thing is that Evo in FC6 is orders of magnitude worse than in FC5!
I mean, the bugs that were listed in the discussion you pointed at
seem trivial in comparison. Right now it's not a matter that it's
slow, or can't be used over slow links. No. Now it simply hangs while
sending (or sometimes receiving mail), and the only viable option
for a regular user is to restart X or reboot!

What good is an email client that can't send mail?!?

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.