Re: unowned directory problem with /etc/logrotate.d

Hans de Goede wrote:

Many packages drop config files for logrotate in /etc/logrotate.d. without requiring logrotate, which is the owner of /etc/logrotate.d, thus potentially leading to an unowned /etc/logrotate.d for users who don't want logrotate and thus remove it.

I see 2 solutions for this:
1) Add "Requires: logrotate" to all packages which put files in /etc/logrotate.d. IMHO this is not good as the user should be able
  to choose if he wants logrotate or not.
2) Add /etc/logrotate.d to the filesystem package, this is my preferred solution.

I would like to hear what others think, before filing a bug against filesystem requesting 2) .

If the package drops a file in logrotate.d, it's likely that it is because something in the package is writing to some log file which the package expects logrotate to operate upon; if logrotate is not there to rotate them, there's a chance of filling /var. I would feel safer with
option (1).

Thank you for your consideration,
Davide Bolcioni
--