Eclipse on Linux Distributions eclipse.org project approved

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 22:20:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

At EclipseCon 2006, Ben Konrath and I met Matt Ryan from Novell.  We talked
about the general issues hurting Eclipse adoption in the Linux and FOSS
communities.  Matt took the lead out of our conversations and along with
“Eclipse people” from other major distros, we proposed [1] the “Eclipse on
Linux Distributions” project at eclipse.org.

Last week, the project had its Creation Review [2] and it was a success!
I’d like to see most, if not all, of the work that our group is doing —
ChangeLog, autotools, specfile editing, packaging tools, etc. — get more
visibility as part of this project.  We’re also looking forward to
collaborating with developers and packagers from other distributions.
Having this work under the eclipse.org umbrella will give it better
exposure and hopefully help in achieving our goal of bringing Eclipse
technology to Linux distribution users.

As usual, everyone is invited to join in our work.  We hope to see some of
you on IRC (#fedora-java), fedora-devel-java-list at redhat.com, the upstream