Using a custom DSDT with Fedora

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Oct 9 14:56:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 08:04:05AM -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 22:16 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > I've just spend a couple of hours fixing my BIOS :
> > http://hughsient.livejournal.com/5884.html
> >
> > To do this, I needed to re-write the _BIF and _BST ACPI methods to
> > actually interface with the hardware in a sane way.
> >
> > Using Ubuntu or SUSE, using a new dsdt would be as easy as adding it to
> > the initrd. BUT on Fedora you have to build a custom kernel (not
> > trivial), patch it to add the custom dsdt functionality, add the dsdt to
>
> Is it really that hard to:
>
> 1) grab the desired kernel .src.rpm, install it as normal
> 2) cd to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> 3) Add your patch to the specfile, copy it to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
> 5) rpmbuild -ba --target i386 <kernel.spec>
>
> ?  or am I missing some steps/complications?

Yeah, how about ditching the silly spec file patch mechanism, and use
something useful like a quilt series file instead?  Or at least add comments
to the spec file so that it is readily patched with AWK or Perl:

### ADD YOUR PATCHES HERE (20000 +) ###

### APPLY YOUR PATCHES HERE ####

Of course, the best solution would be to just include an ACPI DSDT patch
and taint the kernel, if the upstream developers don't want to deal with
the support issue -- that's why we have taint flags.  Let Intel spend some
of those "Intel Inside" marketing dollars to help the BIOS/mobo vendors
to fix the user experience; that ought not be our problem.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky