Fedora core Chinese font support

Leo sdl.web at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 14:25:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10/10/06 14:50 +0100, Owen Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 2006-10-10 at 12:55 +0100, Leo wrote:

>> > chinese fonts in fc6 has changed a lot from fc5, the look and feel has
>> > been improved so much that you have never seen in other distributions.
>> > please compare fc6 to novell again after fc6 released.
>> >
>> > --
>> > bbbush ^_^
>>
>> I probably can do it for FC7. I have no plan to upgrade to FC6 since
>> I'm stuck with a lot of work at this time. But what on earth has
>> changed from FC6 to FC5 with respect to Chinese fonts? Is it the new
>> fontconfig or a new CJK font? Is it possible to backport those to FC5?
>
> The most likely candidate for a big improvement in this area is
> a newer version of FreeType. Recent versions of FreeType contain
> specific code for auto-hinting CJK fonts. (A version of this code
> has apparently been in SuSE for a while as a patch.)
>
> 					- Owen
>
> [ This is just a guess - I haven't checked the FreeType version in FC6
>   or looked at FC5 / FC6 comparisons for font quality. ]

This makes sense to me.

I have checked the Release Notes and Changelog of Freetype 2.1.10 to
2.2.1 and it seems to me it is very safe to upgrade. Here is from the
Release notes

      Note that, as  a convenience to our Unix  desktop users, version
      2.2 is *binary* compatible with FreeType 2.1.7, which means that
      installing this  release on  an existing distribution  shall not
      break any working desktop.

Should we consider issuing an update for FC5?

--
Leo