concerning X freeze recurring

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Fri Oct 13 13:01:43 UTC 2006

Denis Leroy wrote:
> David Nielsen wrote:
>> fre, 13 10 2006 kl. 17:19 +0900, skrev Warren Togami:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Thinkpad T41
>>> Radeon 7500
>>>
>>> Complete system deadlocks began happening a few months ago in
>>> rawhide. Sometimes I can go days between lockups, sometimes it
>>> happens a few times a day.  It *ALWAYS* seems to happen while I am
>>> moving the mouse.
>>
>> And none of you thought to inform the developers untill days before
>> release?
>>
>> If it's not in bugzilla, it doesn't exist.
>
> One of the problems is the large number of bugzilla entries on
> bugzilla.redhat.com (40 bugs just against xorg-x11-drv-ati), and
> upstream on bugs.freedesktop.org, and the relationships between the two
> lists is particularly hairy (definitely not a one-to-one relationship,
> more like many-to-many ;-), and maybe a few maybe-to-none :-( ). So
> sorting through the lists is not for the faint of heart...

This problem has been especially frustrating because...

1) It cannot be reproduced easily on demand.  Sometimes I can go days or
even weeks without it happening.
2) When the deadlock happens, no methods seem able to get any debug
information.

How useful is this kind of bug report?  Not very. =(

Has anyone else noticed this lockup with Radeon 7500 happen only when
moving the mouse?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com