concerning X freeze recurring (historical background)

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Sat Oct 14 00:17:25 UTC 2006

fre, 13 10 2006 kl. 11:33 -0400, skrev Bill Nottingham:
> Dax Kelson (dax at gurulabs.com) said:
> > The two workarounds are:
> >
> > * Re-apply linux-2.6-drm-cripple-r300.patch
> > * Use the proprietary ATI fglrx driver
>
> I thought most of this current thread was about the r7500 - this isn't
> a r300 card, and shouldn't be affected by this.

You are advocating crippling r300 cards and thus forcing those users who
all through the FC6 cycle have enjoyed working free drivers to either do
magic or use proprietary software.. just no, please don't even consider
that an option.

Sadly however r200/r100 users as I understand can't even get support
from ATI on Linux anymore, they yanked those parts of the drivers with
the last update if I recall correctly. Also the ATI drivers will not
support AIGLX so no bling either.

If I recall correctly from the FC5 cycle not crippling the r300 drivers
did tend to cause problems even if you had an older card installed.

It sounds a bit like we are screwed no matter what.

- David Nielsen