*URGENT* Re: Another slip in the FC6 schedule

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 22:28:36 UTC 2006

On 10/17/06, Alfredo Ferrari <list at pceet030.cern.ch> wrote:
> As I wrote I have hundreds of GB of 1k, ext3, partitions, not only
> /boot ones, and we are running FC5 (we need reasonably stable systems) so
> knowing the FC6 kernel has been fixed this morning is of no help
>
>                Alfredo

Mistakes happen. Dave is the one kernel guy who is split between
multiple packages and reading from his blog has been puking his guts
up for the last couple of days.

The issue that I have to always remember, is that this is an operating
system that tries to make a reasonably conservative split between
cutting edge and conservative choices. Problems like this will occur.
You and I, as system administrators, have to manage this risk by
putting in change control into the mix..

We shouldn't just update to the latest software on our mission
critical software, but use a management process of say 1-2 days before
putting newer kernels etc onto the systems. Or putting the kernels on
our devel systems and putting them through a ringer before putting
them on production systems.