Packaging into /srv? (was: FHS Compliance?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Oct 21 13:43:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, Oct 21, 2006 at 01:29:02PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 21 octobre 2006 à 13:06 +0200, Axel Thimm a écrit :
> > >
> > > As noted in the bug, I think that default, package-managed files should be
> > > packaged into /usr/share/somewhere,
> >
> > I agree.
> >
> > > but /srv/www (or /srv/www/something/) should be the default (empty,
> > > except maybe a README) document directory.
> >
> > No, /srv should exist, but otherwise be empty from the vendor's POV
> > (e.g. no package should own/place anything beneath /srv).
>
> We package TFTP, FTP, SMB, CIFS, DAV servers...
> They all need a default root in their config file.

There is no root for smb/cifs/nfs. The number of services that really
require a root to be able to do something at all are quite limited.

> The FHS makes it abundantly clear this root must be somewhere in /srv.

Like for imap and nis where the FHS contradicts with itself on this
point?

I don't think we should interprete the FHS that we are to hardwire
stuff into /srv forcing users to abandon their favourite
methology. That would lead to admins quitting Fedora due to not being
able to use it for their purposes. Or they would ignore /srv and
create a new /srv2. Both of which are not what we'd like to happen.

Let's try to find a compromise: Would a special subfolder of /srv like
/srv/default/{www,ftp,...} make you and me happy? It would have the
least impact on user chosen metholodgy [1] and all services could move
to there. Deal?

BTW the FHS is currently being revised, if we'd like to make a
suggestion (for example a special subfolder under /srv designated to
be vendor owned) we should hurry up.

[1] Unless s/o have a domain called "default", /srv/default is just a
    suggestion of the top of my head, there may be better ones.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net