Volume label of installation media

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Oct 27 02:25:44 UTC 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 22:09, Srihari Vijayaraghavan wrote:
> Until FC5, I'm used to seeing no blank space character in installation CD &
> DVD media's volume labels. Is there any specific reason why FC6 changed its
> course?
>
> This one Windows idiom (as a Linux & Windows sys admin) of having blank
> space character (in file name, directory name, user name, group name,
> volume name etc.) is the most painful thing to deal with when scripting &
> other work flow techniques are concerned.
>
> So the question is, why not keep it simple with the use of _ or - like
> characters for CD/DVD labels? I'm sure there'll be clever ways of handling
> blank space characters, but why bother with cleverness, when simple things
> (KISS philosophy of unix for example) are admirable/appreciable for their
> simplicity.

Mostly because it was easier to read when the CD was inserted and the Volume
showed up on the desktop.  Its an odd site effect that gnome-volume-manager
mounts in /media using the volume name.  However it _does_ work, so...

If there is significant request/reasons to change it back to a - or a _ I'll
consider it.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora