Re: yum question, reverting to old packages.

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 11:58 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
How does 'rpm --oldpackage' manage it?
The times I have used it it seems to have worked correctly.

My guess is that it just runs the older package scriptlets, and hopes
the newer package scriptlets didn't break anything.  Kind of like
--force and --nodeps.  It "works" in some cases, but assumptions are
made that can really hork a system.

Or maybe it does an uninstall of the current package then an install of the "old" package. Perhaps in doesn't make any difference wrt yum, yum could take advantage of the --oldpackage capability of RPM or it could work by doing remove <current> - install <old> and if either --oldpackage or the two step approach can't be done (say for dependencies) notify the user. But since we are speculating about RPM here, perhaps someone who actually knows can help us out. 8-)

Richard