[Slighty-Offtopic] Fedora Accessibility

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Mon Sep 4 17:28:34 UTC 2006

On Sunday 03 September 2006 13:53, "Arthur Pemberton" <pemboa at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 9/3/06, Terje Bless <link at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >This is mostly a report of a yet unanswered post in fedora-list. Some
> > >blind dude asked for help with some tech I have never come accross. It
> > >seems neither has the majority of the people over on fedora-list.
> >
> > Just as a side note...
> >
> > Having a knowledgeable blind user willing to do testing is a big boon to
> > getting accessibility implemented right. I would suggest the project
> > grabs hold of this person and tries to keep him happy.
> >
> > Both Apple and Microsoft have been focussing strongly on Accessibility
> > lately — and particularly for blind users — so this will get to be a big
> > theme going forward for marketing-ish reasons as well as the normal
> > reasons.
>
> I couldn't agree more.

It wouldn't be a bad start for us to make sure that our new contributor
processes are sufficiently accessible.  I'd be willing to bet that the blind
would have a difficult time contributing even if they wanted to.  If we open
the doors for people with disabilities to contribute directly, they could
make some of the necessary changes without mandatory assistance from others.

I must admit, my vision is bad and it certainly isn't getting better, so I
have a little incentive to push for an accessible Fedora desktop.  ;-)

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://www.n-man.com/