FC6t2 Anaconda/installer bug with dd: loads wrong module

Pasi Kärkkäinen pasik at iki.fi
Thu Sep 14 09:01:28 UTC 2006

Problem solved..

Driver disk format has changed since RHEL4.
FC5 and FC6 (and upcoming RHEL5) are using the new format.

"modules.alias" is now required file, and "pcitable" is not used anymore.

The checks for these files are broken in FC6 test2, but will be hopefully
fixed in the later versions.

So if you don't have "pcitable" file installer/anaconda will tell you the driver
disk is broken.. but that file is not used anymore, the check is bogus. Also the
installer does not check the existence of "modules.alias", which is a required file
now.. if that file is missing, the driver disk will _not_ be loaded.

Jeremy Katz from Redhat helped to solve this problem.

Hopefully the documentation for FC6/RHEL5 will be updated with this new
information/format.

- Pasi