Re: How do I make an installation initrd.img for a new kernel?

Barry Scott wrote:
I need up update the network install for FC4 so that it
supports new hardware (nVidia ethernet - forcedeth).

The 2.6.17 kernel is fine in this case. But the initrd.gz that
is installed in /boot is nothing like the images/pxeboot/initrd.img
from the installation CD.

I need to know how the images/pxeboot/initrd.img  was made
so that I can make a new one for the 2.6.17 kernel.

Can anyone point in the right direction?

Don't know about the pxeboot initrd, but to roll your own initrd, first make sure you have a kernel/initrd combination that allows you to boot into the machine in case the following causes problems.

Then save the existing initrd, and

mkinitrd -f --preload=module1 --preload=module2 --preload=moduleN \
initrd-<kernelversion>.img <kernelversion>

where <kernelversion> = `uname -r`