Cross-compilers.

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Sep 18 07:47:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 07:58 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > It would be great if Fedora could be cross compiled using any host
> > system to produce binaries for any target system, be it a supported and
> > rare host (s390, ia64) or an entirely new target (arm, mips*).
>
> You'll never do that until we ban autoconf in packaging.

Sigh - Will you ever stop reiterating this FUD?

All properly packaged "single-targeted" autoconf/automake based packages
do support cross-compilation, OTB.

Few packages do support mixed native/cross compilation and even less do
support multi-target configurations.

> Packages in _general_ won't cross-compile.
Yes, because many packagers don't test it and because rpm doesn't
support it.

Ralf