ctrl-c during boot != good

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Sun Sep 24 20:42:05 UTC 2006

On 24-Sep-2006 04:57.25 (BST), Peter Gordon wrote:
 > Gentoo's initscripts have a dependency-tracking functionality wherein
 > one service can forcibly require another (such as Apache and Squid
 > requiring that the 'net' service be started, et al.)

Gentoo's init scripts do have dependency tracking, but the place in which
it falls down the most is the networking area.

Bringing up net.lo isn't enough for network-dependant services to start, so
most of them hang on net.ethX. This has largely proven to be problematic
since then if net.ethX goes down, the dependant services go down also. And
never get started back up.

To be honest, with network services, it's mostly useless anyway. If lo is
up, and the service binds to INADDR_ANY, does it matter if ethX goes down?

A wpa_supplicant backed network interface is one example where this is a bad
idea. One break in the connection, and the services drop and never return.

I don't see dependancy tracking as desirable, since we can manage just fine
with service ordering.

rob andrews                       :: pgp 0x01e00563 :: rob at choralone.org