r1000 network driver

Why is this driver (gpl) not part of (fedoras) kernel? I got a notebook with a card that required this driver and I was unable to do a network install (forced to burn and use media) because networking was not possible (no drivers) any change of getting it into the kernel? Should I file a bug? It only needs a simple patch to compile with 2.6.17/18