rawhide report: 20060929 changes

David Nielsen david at lovesunix.net
Fri Sep 29 16:19:55 UTC 2006

fre, 29 09 2006 kl. 17:08 +0100, skrev José Matos:
> On Friday 29 September 2006 16:58, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > But in the case of the kernel, its a new release of the same code set, with
> > some improvements.  We're not going to switch to a kernel branch that has
> > been branched 4 years ago.  If a bunch of work went into gimp-print and
> > improved things greatly, sure that'd be an easy update.  This is different.
>
>   You are talking about the kernel, right?
>
>   AFAIK the changes between 2.6.15 (version released in FC5) and 2.6.18 (the
> version available in testing-updates) are impressive. So I guess the kernel
> is a bad example to prove your point. ;-)
>
>   It is almost ironic because very few projects change so much code between
> major releases. :-)

You are forgetting that the kernels inbetween have undergone extensive
testing in Development and with other distributions.. also we have
superhero DaveJ at the helm which counts for a lot when considering such
updates sane.

I'm sure if the same level of testing could be done to the gimp-print ->
gutenprint upgrade path it would be welcomed. Thus I would propose
putting it in Development after it opens for FC7, then send out a
bugzilla message like Dave does for every kernel update asking people to
recheck bugs against the new update, if people respond favorably then we
can put it in updates-testing maybe.

But switching 2 weeks prior to release without any regression testing is
a bit to risky for most peoples liking even given the benefits and alure
of new drivers.

- David Nielsen