Re: rawhide report: 20070403 changes

David Cantrell wrote:
On Tue, 2007-04-03 at 10:11 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Ralf Ertzinger <fedora camperquake de> said:
pciutils-2.2.4-2.fc7
--------------------
* Mon Apr 02 2007 Harald Hoyer <harald redhat com> - 2.2.4-2
- added alpha to multilib patch (#231790)
Do we even build for Alpha? When was the last time anyone tried it?
A better question would be why does Alpha (an arch that has only ever
been 64 bit) need multilib?

If only there were someone, maybe at Red Hat, who has experience with
the Alpha platform.

From a pure Linux perspective, no; from Tru64-Unix perspective, yes;
I did Alpha platform support for approx. 7 years before leaving the mothership.
From EV4->EV6-NUMA.  Know a fair amount EV7, but left before doing that work.

pciutils requires the use of syscalls to do pci config cycle accesses because
Alpha systems memory-map the PCI config space into it's uber memory address space;
i.e., Alpha *always* did pci-mmconf; it never used io-mapped, address+ data regs
to do PCI config cycles.
Which reminds me, since Alpha doesn't have equiv. iob/w/l instructions, the PCI
IOPort accesses were memory-mapped as well.
Similar stuff/issues with PCI on PPC.

- Don