sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Apr 6 12:16:27 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 03:05:21PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> A window manager is very different from a init script system. We don't
> currently allow individual maintainers to put different kernels into
> Fedora repository.  A init system is very similar.

I think that, if there existed kernels different from the linux
kernel but providing the same interface, we should allow them. But I
don't think it exists. It is the same for the libc and I am a big
proponent of having alternative libc, and even use them when there is
a gain. To me there is no fundamental difference between the fedora
components, as long as they share the same interfaces and use the
same norms, otherwise said are integrated. (wm use X, and freedesktop,
libcs implement the same API, and so on and so forth).

Once more I am all for retrograde defaults, but also to let power
users be able to test and use innovative stuff. Normal users won't
install anything not in the default set.

> For a alternatively init system to properly work with the system
> requires all packages that provide init scripts to also provide a
> different one for each different init system that we have in the
> repository unless they have a SysV init compatibility mode.
>
> This is quite a large amount of integration work required which
> packagers not be interested in. Some sort of experimental version is ok

You cannot say that for packagers. Packagers may be interested in that
work. If we forbid new init systems we prevent interested people to do
the job.

> for testers in the development branch but this wouldnt scale much for
> the "stable" branches that we have to maintain.

Why? If people are interested, they will make it scale. We have to
accept new stuff, otherwise it won't get off. For example, for init
systems, if we say 'this system is too new, it needs new init
files/scripts' it will never get in because packagers and upstreams
potentially interested will say 'this system is not packaged it is
a waste of time to get interested in it'.

> Do you see that as a problem? If so what is the solution that you are
> suggesting?

Let the new init systems packagers decide (as a community) when they
can put new init systems in stable release, just like for normal
components. If contributors cannot be trusted, things are wrong anyway.

--
Pat