Re: sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> >
> > I may be wrong, but I don't think that any user will chose another init
> > system than the default init system unknowingly.
>
> The problem is not that the user would unknowingly install a different
> init system (They could install any packages without understanding it
> but that is not a init system specific issue so we needn't discuss that
> in this thread).
>
> The problem is that users wouldn't know that the init system they are
> installing wont work with several packages because these don't provide
> the init scripts that work with the alternative init system they just
> installed. If basic integration was not done, the alternative init
> system would result in non-functional packages, crashes or worse non
> booting systems.

che can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the user of a new init
system such as initng has to install the new init *and* manually
configure the commandline in grub to boot with the alternate init.  So I
really think you're overstating the "non-functionalness" here.
Moreover, since SysVinit is nearly impossible to remove from the system
without pulling an esr, if I "break" it, all I have to do to unbreak it
is edit the grub entry and remove the init= line.

-Toshio