New developer

Cody Tracy fuse1031blue at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 8 04:10:10 UTC 2007

Kevin Kofler wrote:
>Bernardo Innocenti <bernie <at> codewiz.org> writes:
>
>>>Or if you hate packaging, you could just use my packages to develop some
>>>nice KDE 4 app and have me or somebody else package it for Fedora.
>>>
>>Is there a yum repo for these?
>>

>As I said, they are in the unstable repository at kde-redhat.
>

>>I'm surprised RPMs are already being distributed, because I'm building
>>KDE4 from sources quite often and it's a very lucky day when the SVN
>>checkouts build at all.
>>

>I took the 3.80.3 developer snapshot, that one is at least known to
>compile. I then cherry-picked a few bugfixes from current SVN and
>backported these.
>
>I'm not going to upgrade wholesale to a new snapshot before Alpha 1.
>

>>So far, the result of starting kde4 apps ranged from "crashes immediately"
>>to "opens a window that doesn't respond to input". This includes core
>>stuff like Konqueror and Kicker.
>>

>Konqueror 3.80.3 starts up with one of the patches I backported. (In
>unpatched 3.80.3, it would only work if you give it a URL to open,
>otherwise it crashed immediately.) It's possible some other changes in
>current SVN broke it again, but 3.80.3 with the patch works.
>
>Kicker is deprecated and being replaced with Plasma, so it probably
>shouldn't be expected to work. I don't recommend running a full KDE 4
>session yet anyway, instead run KDE 3 (or even GNOME) and then fire up the
>individual KDE 4 apps you want to try out inside that session. My
>parallel-installation patches should make that work seamlessly.
>
>Now, there's definitely a lot of stuff which is still buggy. The packages
>are in "unstable" for a reason. But they're good enough for their intended
>purpose, which is to allow developing apps using the KDE 4 libs.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Well, can anyone point me in the right direction to get started?  Docs,
desired applications and such?  I'm sure I can find the docs on the KDE
4 libs but I'm not sure where to find redhat specific documentation.  I
could most definitely write some front ends for these system apps.  Just
need the docs.

Thanks