sysvinit VS initng VS upstart VS launchd (Was: Future New Init for FC7?)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Sun Apr 8 18:32:46 UTC 2007

On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 07:40:54PM +0200, Trond Danielsen wrote:
> 2007/4/8, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr>:
> >On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 08:59:24PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >>
> >> If you are advocating for alternative init systems I hope you take
> >> sometime to do that.
> >
> >I am not essentially advocating for alternative init systems, but I am
> >advocating for diversity and not having artificial entry barriers. I
> >have already seen people saying only one dm, only one libc, and so on
> >and so forth. This, in general, comes with a preference for desktop
> >users and for things that just work, even if they are not easy to
> >customize. I'd like that power users (like myself) also keep on use,
> >contribute and feel that fedora is right and welcoming for them.
>
> _Nobody_ has suggested that only one desktop environment or a single
> window manager should be available in Fedora. Please stick to the
> facts.

I didn't said wm, but dm (display manager). It is there:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-maintainers/2007-February/msg00408.html
For the one libc and no static linking against dietlibc, even if it
is more efficient I could find the thread too, if you really want to.

> The point that you seem to be missing is the fact that there is a huge
> difference between shipping two window managers and two different init
> systems. For each init system all packages  that provide services
> would have to maintain different start-up scripts for each init
> system.

Right, I agree on that. But it doesn't change my point, although I agree
that there should be init files for the main services, especially the
system daemons before it goes in the stable releases.

> I think it is better to test and benchmark the different init systems
> outside of the main repositories, and when the time is right, and
> opinions backed by measured results, a new init system can be
> introduced into Fedora.

I disagree. This adds a barrier for those who have the knowledge
and the will to package and use different init systems.

--
Pat