rt2x00 driver

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 14:44:40 UTC 2007

2007/4/9, Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 15:58 +0200, KH KH wrote:
> > 2007/4/9, Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>:
> > > I am having problems with the rt2x00 driver present in the kernel
> > > 3045. I have an usb device (Belink f5d7050, fcc id: k7s-f5d7050b).
> > >
> > > When I plug the device the driver loads correctly:
> > >
> > > usb 5-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
> > > usb 5-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> > > usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb
> > > usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2500usb
> > > wmaster0: Selected rate control algorithm 'simple'
> > Ralink usb devices can use rt2500usb or rt73usb (you "may" need to
> > uses rt71w-firmware currently in review with the second case!). The
> > first step should be to blacklist one or the other doing: echo
> > "blacklist rt2500usb" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
> > > iwlist works despite the warning:
> > >
> > > iwlist wlan0 scan
> > Same result with my rt2500pci, the problem is association is failling.
> > Sometime you can have better result using rausb0 or ra0 aliases...
> > (this has been rapported sometime - not my own experience...)
> > > Warning: Driver for device wlan0 has been compiled with version 22
> > > of Wireless Extension, while this program supports up to version 20.
> > > Some things may be broken...
> > Same warning! But since this may prevent to associate correctly with
> > Ralink's devices we should consider this as a bug!
> > > I have the latest wireless-tools installed. Should I recompile it?
> > The Wireless-tools from devel is tha same version as Fedora Core 6,
> > this is a problem because this site:
> > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Tools.html#latest
> > do not mention WE-22 but beta WE-21, and i down't know where can i
> > find tools that supports WE-22 (any link or references?)
> > > The problem starts when running wpa_suppilcant:
> > >
> > > /usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -D wext -c /et plicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
> > > ioctl[SIOCSIWMODE]: Device or resource busy
> > > Could not configure driver to use managed mode
> > > ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not supported
> > > WEXT auth param 4 value 0x0 - ioctl[SIOCSIWAUTH]: Operation not support
> > >
> > > Does someone knows what is wrong? What version of rt2x00 is included
> > > in the kernel? Do think I should compile a new version? Should I add
> > > the dscape patch to wpa_supplicant? According to the rt2x00 site newer
> > > versions should work with the wext driver...
> > This implies that wpa-supplicant may be updated, i'm only working on
> > hostapd for now and i  didn't received answears for this bug,
> > requesting it: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/230857
>
> Updated.  We shouldn't be adding new drivers to wpa_supplicant, but
> fixing the kernel drivers to correctly implement WEXT.
>
> mac80211 doesn't work well enough with WEXT yet, but work is ongoing in
> that area.  mac80211 is still an experimental stack and in no way
> 'stable'.  You may experience problems while using it with tools other
> than 'iwconfig', or even with 'iwconfig'.
>
> Dan
Thx for this tips Dan i will work this way with hostapd next week...
but now how WE-22 can be implemented if wireless-tools isn't rebuilt for fc7?
ftp://*/core/development/i386/os/Fedora/wireless-tools-28-1.fc6.i386.rpm
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/234725 ?

I suppose the same problem will occurs as Fedora Core 5 had when WE
were updated inside the kernel. it was so difficult to update
Wireless-tools because it was required by
most of the packages involved in wireless (NetworkManager and so many others...)

Why wireless-tools cannot be build against new kernel (and WE-22 ?)

Nicolas (kwizart)