packaging and binary incompatibility coming from the compiler

Hello,

Sometimes changes in the compiler leads to binary incompatibility. How
to deal with these kind of incompatibilitites? I don't think that using
the soname for those kind of incompatibilities is right, are there other
technniques?

The transition I have in mind is the g77 -> gfortran transition. In fact
some (many?) packages are already transitionned, but I am not sure that
this issue has been taken into account. And it also applies to C++ and
C binary compatibility issues arising from the compiler changes.

--
Pat