Announcing Fedora 7 Test 4 (6.93)

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 30 14:24:47 UTC 2007

Max Spevack wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
>>>       * In previous test releases the default product was called
>>>         "Prime", but after feedback from Marketing and the community it
>>>         has been renamed simply "Fedora".
>>
>> Are you referring to Red Hat marketing here? It certainly wasn't
>> discussed in Fedora Marketing. Where was this discussed publicly?
>
> It was discussed a few times by the Fedora Board, and ultimately the
> decision was made that we would ask Red Hat's branding team what they
> thought made the most sense.
>
> The feedback that we received from them was several-fold:
>
> Most importantly: call something what it is, and *don't* give something
> a name that doesn't make it clear what it is.
>
> As such, several of our names made a lot of sense:
>
> Fedora 7 Gnome Live CD
> Fedora 7 KDE Live CD
> Fedora 7 Everything
>
> All of these are good names.  You know what it is, just by looking at
> the name.

Except that none of the test releases of Fedora 7 called the GNOME live
cd as that.  look at the announcement or
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/.  I have pointed this out several
times before and this has not changed. Do you agree we need to call it
by that name?

> Fedora Prime fails this test miserably.  "Prime" sounds cute, but it
> doesn't *mean* anything.  "Core" is a deprecated term, and "Classic" was
> voted down by the community.  All of the other suggestions that I have
> seen, IMHO, fell into the same trap that "Prime" did.
>
> The recommendation that Red Hat's branding team made, therefore, was
> that we look at "the spin that is similar to what Core used to be" and
> simply call it "Fedora 7".
>
> That recommendation was acceptable to the Board, and was passed along to
> Jesse as the release engineer.  If it was a bit of a surprise to the
> rest of the community until the Test4 announcement went out, the fault
> there is mine and not Jesse's or anyone else's.

Setting aside the fact that that name is not acceptable for me as a
board member we need to avoid such surprises. I don't know in which
board meeting this was decided but I have missed the discussion or
meeting. I am not finding fault with anyone but some public discussion
should have happened in advisory board list or even here after getting
input from Red Hat branding team.

> FWIW, I think that calling the "previously Core" spin simply "Fedora" is
> fine.  Think about a potential fedoraproject.org front page with a few
> download links:

This linking is good but we need a *concise distinct name* for the
desktop/workstation/server spin.  We need to know which particular spin
a users have installed when trying to address questions or debug
problems since the package set, defaults and behavior changes in between
them.

I understand the challenge with naming the "prime" spin since unlike the
other spins it covers a number of different functionalities as a upgrade
path for previous users of Fedora Core but overloading the name "Fedora"
for one of the spins is not a option.  We need something more distinct.

Rahul