RPM roadmapping

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Aug 2 09:42:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, dragoran wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> arch requires and provides ... to end the endless multilib discussions ;)
>>> should be automatic until the packager say Requires: foo.arch
>>
>> I wish it was that simple...
>>
>> Sure, being able to say "Requires: foo.arch = version-release" would help
>> in many cases, but it does not *solve* the multilib problems.
>>
>> A big offender here is the x86 architecture with i386, i486 ... etc
>> subarchitectures. While most packages are i386 there, the assumed
> what about being able to say foo.i?86

What about foo.athlon which is also a 32bit arch?

And don't suggest "Requires: foo.i?86 || foo.athlon", because then you'd
have monsters like this in each and every spec:

%ifarch %{ix86}
Requires: foo.i?86 || foo.athlon
%fi
%ifarch x86_64
Requires: foo.x86_64
%fi

The exact %{arch} is not the point at all here.

 	- Panu -