RPM roadmapping

Jonathan Dieter jdieter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 14:43:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:19 +0200, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:53:43 +0300, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> > The main problem with using cpio is that individual files have a limit
> > of 2GB (which isn't a problem in most cases, but it is a limit).  Why
> > not push a newer cpio format that changes all 16-bit and 32-bit
> > records to 64-bit (along with specifying endienness)?
>
> What exactly is the use case of files larger than 2GB wrt RPM?
>
> I just do not see the need for this.

I work in a school that is planning on moving all of its desktops to
Fedora 7 by the beginning of the upcoming school year.  There are
occasional times that another operating system may be needed, so we've
decided to use qemu-kvm to run this other operating system.

It would be quite convenient for us to package a virtual hard drive into
an rpm so that we can deploy it along with a .desktop file inserted into
the menu as needed on the Fedora systems.

Packaging it as an rpm would also help in keeping track of what
"version" of the virtual hard drive is on each real machine.  If we
decide to add a new program to the virtual hard drive, we could bump the
version and rebuild the rpm.  All systems with the old rpm would get the
new one during their nightly yum update.

Granted, it's not a common use case, but it is a use case.

Jonathan