Kernel Modules in Fedora (was: kqemu inclusion in kernel)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 17:33:40 UTC 2007

On 8/3/07, Kelly <lightsolphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> Following that logic, all the -devel packages should be removed as well,
> because they require compiler tools.

This is a bit of inflammatory logic. Let's see if I can re-orient the
discussion.
First of all very very few items in the repository actually have a
requirement on a compiler.
> repoquery --whatrequires --alldeps gcc |wc -l
17

-devel packages shouldn't be pulling in the compiler at all really.
The couple that do could be errors in the specfile that need to be
corrected.  And the devel packages are on their face meant
for..developers.  They are not expected to provide functionality or
just work out of the box.  So its difficult to hold the -devel
packages up to the same light as potential dkms packages, it's not an
apples to apples comparison.

-jef