Kernel Modules in Fedora (was: kqemu inclusion in kernel)

Kelly lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 18:20:50 UTC 2007

On Friday, August 03, 2007 1:33 pm Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Kelly <lightsolphoenix at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Following that logic, all the -devel packages should be removed as well,
> > because they require compiler tools.
>
> This is a bit of inflammatory logic. Let's see if I can re-orient the
> discussion.

I didn't mean it as inflammatory; I'm just trying to point out that I can go
through the main repository and find packages with dependencies on the
compilers, so that as a restriction seems odd to me.  I can see it if we're
talking about the kernel package itself (obviously compilers shouldn't be
installed in the base system), but it seems wrong if we're discussing
packages not in the kernel package that are technically optional.

> And now the kernel maintainers would be the deciders as to what goes in
> our out of our kernel, so the same criteria that is used for the kernel
> is now used for kernel modules which is completely fair (everybody
> plays by the same rules)

Okay.  What happens if the kernel maintainers don't want a module in the
kernel for some reason (we're seeing one here with the kqemu module)?  You
have to compile from source?  There is a plan for that, right?