is DEVICE in ifcfg-* redundant?

Hello,

in most cases, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-foo contains
DEVICE=foo

1) Are there cases, where the file name differs from ifcfg-$DEVICE?

2) Could we agree that if DEVICE is not set, it defaults to
	${CONFIG##*ifcfg-}
   ?  (I.e., source_config in network-functions would set it.)

(I was trapped by this; I supposed that the variable is optional,
and it took me a while until I found out it is not.)

Stepan Kasal