Enabling Compiz by default?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 00:30:00 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 16:25 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>         On 8/10/07, Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:
>         > I think greying out, or darkening  the window decoration
>         would make
>         > a lot more sense.
>
>         But... the window decoration is actually still..active. You
>         can
>         interact with the decoration... but not the window itself. I'm
>         not
>         sure that makes more sense as a visual cue. What about
>         a 75% saturation or 75% brightness for the window. Is that
>         distracting?
>         -jef
>
> I would have to see it to say.  I think what I find distracting is
> this possibly
> large real estate on my screen just did something.

This is something I think will happen to me as well... although I
*think* I'd get used to it.

> My bigger problem is that it is yet another way for a user to be
> notified
> that something is happening with their desktop.  Why would we flash
> the taskbar or window decoration when a window is "urgent" or ready,
> but darken the entire window when it wasn't responding?  If we are
> notifying
> with the entire window then windows should come to foreground when
> they are notifying the user they need attention.
>
> I guess consistency is really what would be the least distracting.  I
> want
> consistent notification behaviours.  Either tell me with window
> decorations,
> or the entire window, but not with something different for every
> action.  That
> is the real distraction to me.

This I don't agree with.  In human-to-human interactions we rely on a
variety of cues as to what the other person is thinking.  The logical
content of what they're saying, the tone of voice in which it's said,
the expression on their face, the way they're dressed, etc.  Interacting
with a computer can be just as rich.

-Toshio "wants his windows to *sashay* when they want attention and sulk
when they're insensitive" Kuratomi