Changes to cvsadmin requests and acls

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 01:35:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 13:18 -0700, Ian Burrell wrote:
> On 8/10/07, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If someone wants to fix buggbot, that would be great.  I think it's
> > going to be one of the things that gets pushed back to let higher
> > priority things get fixed first.
> >
> > .. getnotifylist:
> > https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/packagedb/ticket/25
> > .. buggbot:
> > https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/packagedb/ticket/23
> >

> One thing that would make sense is to have a location in pkgdb that
> returns the owners.list file synthesized from the database.  Something
> like http://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/ownerslist.  Then, the tools
> that still need a current copy can do "wget" instead of "cvs update".
> Or, somebody can regularly fetch the current one and check it in.

I'm not going to do this but I will commit code if someone else wants
to.  However, it will be a crutch that will go away at some point when
we rewrite the scripts to grab something else.  So, if we commit code to
use this, please only use it for legacy apps and please, open a bug[1]_
to let us know we have to rewrite your app.  The reasons I want to
deprecate owners.list are:

1) I can't think of anything that needs the complete information in
owners.list.  Bugzilla is the only thing that uses the summary and
qacontact, for instance.
2) The PackageDB allows for finer grained information than owners.list.
We can divide up packages by release version rather than just release
(FC-6 is distinct from F-7).  This is not going to be apparent at first
as we're starting with the data from owners.list but it will become more
relevant over time.
3) Many scripts need information targeted at a specific package but will
be downloading all of owners.list instead of pulling the relatively
small amount of data they need.

_[1]: https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/packagedb/newticket

-Toshio